In Sardinia we eat crabs. Not the pulp from the can, but actual mini crabs boiled alive in garlic salted water.
It is cruel, it really is. You wash them quickly under water and while they are still crawling you put them in the hot boiling water until the shell turns a nice red color. Then you let them cool down a bit and you split them in two, try to catch with a knife all the pulp that they have inside, and since they are all females, the eggs, which are the most delicious part of them.
With the bigger ones you can prepare a phenomenal pasta sauce, ragù style, that is amazing with a good quality spaghetti. And of course you can prepare croquettes and patties.
Today’s crab salad has been made with the pulp I bought in Leeds Kirkgate Market, which was a mixture of eggs and pulp. It was nice and fresh and smelled amazing. But you can definitely prepare it with the pulp that you find inside a can, the difference is that it is more plain tasting and less wet.
It is a little bit expensive, but it is worthy and it is a good pick for a fancy dish to serve at a nice dinner with friends.
Using it to fill avocadoes is optional. You could pick tomatoes and fill those, if eating a full half avocado is not your thing, or you can it the salad as a spread, with some toasted bread or some crackers.
- 1 can of crab meat (around 200g)
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 3 tomatoes (deseeded)
- 4 avocado
- 2 boiled eggs
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp of chopped parsley
- Cube the tomatoes and add them to a bowl.
- Do the same with the eggs and one of the avocadoes.
- Mix in the crab pulp, then add the mayo and the parsley.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Cut the other avocadoes in half, get rid of the seed and fill them with the crab salad.
- Before serving drizzle with olive oil and garnish with some parsley.
- If you use crab pulp from a can you will probably need more mayo, because it is quiet dry compared to the fresh one from the fishmonger I used for this recipe.
- I managed to fill 6 avocadoes half with the amount I prepared, but that may vary according to how big your tomatoes and your avocadoes were.
- If the avocadoes are old or you want to prepare them in advance and not just before serving, squeeze on them some lime juice, so they don't turn black.
- If you don't like the idea of filling avocadoes with the salad you can still serve it with some crostini as a spread.